So there was a hiccup in my planned surgery with Dr. Philippon on December 4th. On December 1st me and my husband flew out to Denver and rented a car to drive the rest of the way to Vail, CO. We did miss our flight from Chicago to Denver because of a delay with our flight out of Hancock, MI but in the end we made it to Vail just around midnight. We settled into our condo that we rented for the week and went to bed. Sunday we just hung out, went to the store to get food, explored Vail a little.
Then on Mondy I had a bunch of appointments to go to. When you schedule surgery and a pre-op appointment at the same time, the day before surgery you have a ton of appointments. First I had an MRI, then I met with a physical therapist at Howard Head Sports Medicine, then I had my appointment with Dr. Philippon, his fellows, and the athletic trainer. Everything was going well until I met with Dr. Philippons PA who told me that some of my blood work came back high in two areas which test for an inflamatory response in the body. They were afraid that I had an infection in my hip. So I was told that it was a possibilty that the surgery would not happen because they wanted to be sure that there was no infection in the hip joint. Then I met with one of Dr. Philippons nurses who told me that I had whats called a retroversion, which basically means that the angle in which my hip sits in the socket is no correct and my femur is constantly trying to push out the front of my socket and dilocate. So at this point I just felt like crying. I was told that again, Dr. Philippon may not want to do the surgery, that he may want me to go to a doctor in CA who fixes retroverted hips. It was becoming more clear to me that at this point it was pretty much a no go for surgery the next day. I was devastated. Then I met with Dr. Philippon who is the nicest man ever. He said that he wanted to make sure that there was no infection and then after that we could reschedule surgery. First, he wanted me to get my blood tested again, just to make sure, then he wanted to asperate my hip (take some fluid from the joint). My blood test came back high again, so they were going to asperate it. They did this in the OR to make sure that nothing would contaminate the sample that they took. But wow, did it hurt a lot! I was under the impression that it would be like an injection....no way! Its hurt so much worse! But luckly it was over pretty quick.
So now we just wait. They said that it would be about 4 weeks before all the cultures came back with results, but that preliminary tests are looking good, there is not infection yet. So I am working on getting my surgery rescheduled for the beginning of January. The good part being I dont need any of the pre-op stuff done, all I need is surgery! So while I am pretty disappointed, I am happy surgery will be sooner than April!